Friday, November 12, 2010

Just a Swangin'

On Wednesday Benjamin and I were feeling well enough to run some errands in the car and really needed to get out of the house since we've been homebound since we got sick at Halloween. It was making us both grumpy. On the way home I decided to make a detour to Bur-Mil Park to get some fresh air and sunshine as it was a beautiful, warm Fall day.

We met too little girls there, sisters named Wendy and Vera and their dad and Yeah-Yeah. Up until then Benjamin would feel most comfortable with his belly down on the swings rather than bottom down. Vera asked her daddy to push her swing to the Moon. Bug liked that idea and asked me to do the same. So we swung like that for awhile but then he told me he wanted to sit in the swing the other way. So he sat with his bottom down on the swing and asked me to push him to Saturn. I happily obliged while holding on to him because he has never been stable swinging this way. But he said he wanted to do it himself so I let go and pushed him softly. I guess my speed was too slow to get to Saturn in a timely fashion. "More, Mommy!"

While reminding him to hold on every two seconds I pushed harder and up he went, a little higher each time, not as high as the big girls but for his first time on a swing by himself he did awesome!

And then, without warning, he just jumped off. Good thing the playground is super padded with wood chips! "I'm okay, Momma!" I thought this ending to his swinging would deter him from getting on them again but before we left he ran back over to the swings and did it again. Again, he jumped off at the end but we talked about how next time he should let me know when he was done and we could slow things down before he jumped off.

Our little boy is growing up!

No comments: